Travertine is a type of natural stone that was used for building in the days of ancient Rome – and in some cases, is still standing! Travertine makes for classic, durable tile, ideal for any San Antonio home. But before you buy, here are a few things to know about travertine tile (courtesy of the experts at Floor Coverings International of Northwest San Antonio).
About Travertine Tile
- Classic travertine is an earth-toned beige with a matte, weathered finish. It’s perfect for giving your home an old-world, European look. But if you prefer something more specific, travertine is also available in glossy polishes and textured, rustic styles.
- Travertine is tough enough to stand up to high traffic areas like entryways, kitchens, bathrooms, and outdoor areas. It is capable of withstanding both moisture and temperature fluctuations.
- If you want to avoid the slippery surface of polished tile, unpolished travertine is a great choice. It offers better traction with less chance of accidental slips and falls.
- Travertine is among the more expensive tile options. As natural stone, it is comparable in price to marble, granite, and slate, and more expensive than ceramic.
- Though travertine is very durable, it can be brittle and prone to chipping. It should also be sealed and/or polished to help repel moisture and keep it from staining and etching over time.
- Sweeping or dust mopping is a reliable way to maintain your travertine floors. However, you should always avoid using acidic substances or abrasive tools, since they can damage the surface of the stone. Instead, stick to cleaning your travertine with a specialty stone cleaner and a soft cloth.
Want a classic, luxurious natural stone for your floors? Try travertine tile! It works in a variety of spaces and stands up to everyday wear and tear. Call Floor Coverings International of Northwest San Antonio today, and you can see product samples to determine how travertine tile would look in your San Antonio home.
You might also be interested in:
Photo Credit: Rudy Umans