Marble has a long and storied history. With its timeless aesthetic and distinctive swirling patterns, marble flooring can bring both elegance and a level of customization to any room. Floor Coverings International of Northwest San Antonio would like to help you decide if marble tile is the right fit for your home. Read on to learn more about this amazing material.
What is Marble?
Marble is a particular type of rock that is classified as metamorphic rock. This simply means that the original stone, often limestone or dolomite rock, has been transformed into marble as a result of extreme heat and pressure that alters its physical and chemical makeup.
When shopping for marble, you may notice that it comes in a wide variety of colors and patterns and that no two tiles are ever quite the same. This unique quality that manifests in metamorphosed marble is an after-effect of the various minerals that existed in the original rock. Sand, clay, silica, and other minerals can all have differing effects on the hue and style of marble. Take a look at our product gallery to see some of our available options!
Why Choose Marble?
Since the time of the Roman Empire, marble has been a signifier of luxury and good taste. It makes for a beautiful and sophisticated addition to a home. While marble tile is a premium flooring material, it is a great investment because of its appearance, durability, and the fact that it can help increase your home’s retail value.
Taking Care of Your Marble Floor
Like other natural flooring materials, marble requires a bit of care to keep it in top condition. By following the below steps, you can help extend the longevity of your beautiful, marble tile floor.
- Unsealed marble is extremely porous and the surface can show light scratches. For these reasons, we recommend investing in marble tile sealed with a protective coating. Especially if the marble will be installed in an area with a lot of foot traffic or in the bathroom.
- To clean your floors, use a gentle mixture of water and a pH neutral dish soap. Simply follow the dilution instructions on the soap bottle.
- Avoid using cleaners with acidic components, as they can damage your floor. This includes natural cleaners like lemon juice and vinegar.
- If you decide to install unsealed marble tile, make sure to use a soft towel to fully dry the area after cleaning. You want to avoid letting water stand on its surface.
- Over time, the accumulation of dirt and debris can lead to scratches on the surface of your tile. To prevent this, use a dust mop to softly clean the floor. It is recommended to use a dust mop instead of a hard bristled broom.
If you reside in the San Antonio, Stone Oak, Alamo Heights, or surrounding areas, then give Floor Coverings International of Northwest San Antonio a call to set up your free in-home design consultation. Our experts would love to sit down with you and go over your goals for your home. We look forward to hearing from you!